Some states have changed their Rules or Professional Conduct or adopted other kinds of regulatory innovations to allow for the expansion of legal services via alternative legal service providers. Examples include:
- Arizona – Exempts certain document preparers from Unauthorized Practice of Law claims. It also allows for court navigators.
- District of Columbia – Allows for a limited form non-lawyer ownership of law firms.
- New York – Allows for court navigators.
- Texas – Exempts self-help books and software from Unauthorized Practice of Law.
- Utah – Created (starting in 2019) Licensed Paralegal Practitioners.
- Washington – Created Limited License Legal Technicians. Note: Program to end in July 2021.